CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – The University of Northern Iowa Community Music School (CMS) has announced its spring schedule of classes. The CMS is an outreach program of the UNI School of Music and offers year-round music and fine arts curriculum for pre-kindergarten through senior citizens.
All classes, lessons, rehearsals and performances are given on campus in UNI School of Music facilities. Professional music educators, performers and School of Music students comprise the staff at the CMS.
Registration for the following classes is accepted throughout the year:
- CMS Private Lessons in Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion and Keyboard for Kindergarten through Adults. Beginning through advanced level students broaden their musical horizons with weekly individual lessons that may begin anytime during the year. For more information, contact Nicole Green at 319-273-3160 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Improv One for Grades 4 through 12. Improv One is a new program starting this spring. Using folk songs as models, participants will learn to creatively embellish a simple melody, understand elementary harmony, and play in traditional and swing styles during the eight-week group classes. All instruments are welcome (pianos will be furnished). Students will be placed into grade appropriate groups. Session dates are from Monday, March 7, through Wednesday, May 4. For more information, contact Green at 319-273-3160 or email@example.com.
- CMS Organ Studio for Youth and Adults. The Organ Studio is a new collaboration between the CMS and the UNI School of Music organ faculty. All weekly private lessons -- youth and adult -- take place on the Wolff Concert Organ in Jebe Hall on the UNI campus. No prior organ experience is required for either youth or adult students, but youth should have completed at least two years of piano study and adult students should have at least a moderate level of piano proficiency. For more information, contact Mariko Morita at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UNI Children’s Choir for Youth Grades 2 through 9. UNI Children’s Choir (UNICC) is a performing vocal ensemble that provides opportunities for children to have fun while learning basic vocal development skills in preparation for high quality concerts. Loving to sing is a prerequisite! Rehearsals are on Thursday evenings. The UNICC Spring Concert is scheduled for Friday, May 6. For more information, contact Crystal Waltz at email@example.com.
- UNI New Horizons Band for Adults 50 Years and Older. UNI New Horizons Band is for adults who love music and want to play in a concert band. Members range from beginners through advanced players. New Horizons Band rehearses twice a week and presents winter, spring and summer concerts. For more information, contact Diana Blake at 319-352-3007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about all UNI Community Music School programs, please visit the CMS website, www.unisonmusicmakers.com.
For more information regarding the spring schedule of classes for the CMS, contact Cindi Mason, Director of the Community Music School, at 319-273-2142 or email@example.com.